Ivano-Frankivsk National Medical University was founded in 1945 in the western part of Ukraine, city of Ivano-Frankivsk. The city lies along the Bystritsa River just above its confluence with the Dniester River. It was founded in 1662 as the town of Stanislawow. After the first partition of Poland (1772), the town was held by Austria until 1919. There is well-developed infrastructure at the city with the railway and airport transport connection.